Historic Trolley Tour

The Williamsport Trolley Tour is a delightful hour ride through Williamsport’s areas of interest, featuring Millionaire’s Row. See the impressive mansions built by the lumber barons of days gone by and learn the rich history of the lumber capital of the world! Other highlights of the tour include Memorial Park where the first Little League Baseball game was played, the Original Little League Baseball field, “Bases Loaded” art sculptures in the middle of Market Street, and the beautifully designed Brandon Park. The trolley will stop at the Susquehanna State Park where passengers can also take a cruise aboard the Hiawatha Paddlewheel Riverboat as a separate attraction.

Tour Schedule Information

June 1st through August 31st

Departures Weekdays

Peter Herdic Transportation Museum Susquehanna State Park/Hiwatha Third Street Parking Garage/Bus Bay #12
10:45 am 11:00 am 11:20 am
12:15 pm 12:30 pm 12:50 pm
1:45 pm 2:00 pm 2:20 pm

Departures Saturdays

Peter Herdic Transportation Museum Susquehanna State Park/Hiwatha Third Street Parking Garage/Bus Bay #12
10:45 am 11:00 am 11:20 am
11:15 pm 12:30 pm 12:50 pm

Passengers may start the trip at any of the Trolley stops. One fare allows passengers to get on and off once at each Trolley stop during that particular day. The Historic Trolley Tours do not operate September through May. Reservations are encouraged and may be necessary during peak times. All trolley trips are subject to change and availability.

Tour Ticket Fares

Age Ticket Fee
Adults $5.00
Seniors (Ages 60+) $4.00
Childer (Ages 12 & under) $3.00

Tickets available from 4 locations; River Valley Transit bus center on Transit Drive, rear of 144 West Third Street; Peter Herdic Transportation Museum, 810 Nichols Place; Susquehanna State Park, 2205 Hiawatha Blvd.; Lycoming County Visitor’s Bureau, 102 West Fourth Street. Ask about discounts when you buy a trolley tour and Peter Herdic Transportation Museum tickets together.

Tour of Lights Tour

Enjoy a scenic “Tour of Lights” aboard a Williamsport Trolley select evenings each December. Open to the public and available for rent for private group tours.

Bring the entire family for a sightseeing tour of the beautiful holiday lights of the famous Candy Cane Lane and Brandon Park! Public tours operate from select evenings in December. Nightly tours depart beginning at 6:00 pm from the Peter Herdic Transportation Museum, 810 Nichols Place, Williamsport.

Tickets must be purchased in advance, reservations are required. Ticket sales begin in November. Call River Valley Transit’s Administrative Office at (570) 326-2500 weekdays between 9:00 am -4:00 pm only. Groups welcome!

Sponsored in part by the Williamsport Recreation Commission.

Private Charters

Great for weddings, corporate events, school groups, or reunions. Rent one of our Trolleys for transportation, tours, and photo shoots.

Call (570) 326-2500 for rates and availability.

Contact Us

The Historic Trolley Tours’ administrative office is located at River Valley Transit, 1500 West Third St., Williamsport, PA 17701.

Call us at (570) 326-2500 or complete the form below to contact us.

Historic Williamsport Trolley History

It was a time of prosperity and growth. As the lumber industry thrived, so did the residents of Williamsport. By the mid-1800’s Williamsport was known throughout the nation as the Lumber Capital of the world and a city of millionaires. These millionaires provided the funds and impetus for Williamsport’s first form of public transportation – the streetcar. In 1863, Governor Andrew Curtin signed a charter creating the Williamsport Passenger Railway Company.

Under the direction of Peter Herdic, construction of the railway began. In 1865, streetcar service started in time for the State Fair, held in Williamsport. The first streetcars were horse-drawn and equipped with a small stove to keep passengers warm in the winter. Electric streetcars were introduced to Williamsport in 1891, one year prior to those in Philadelphia. They operated in the city until June 11, 1933, when the last trolley rolled to a halt.

Today, Williamsport River Valley Transit recreates that era with the Peter Herdic, Anne Weightman, and Carl Stotz Trolleys touring the sites of the City, and be transported back to the days of the lumber barons.