The staff position is responsible for facilitate planning, implementation and analysis of transit service delivery for River Valley Transit Authority, which may include but not limited to, fixed route and innovative mobility service. This position will develop operational service planning studies, analyze performance data and key performance indicators and coordinate programs related to bus stops and the transit center. The Director of Planning is expected to exercise independent judgement and initiative in establishing efficient and effective service operations consistent with the needs of the authority. This position will also develop and evaluate RVTA performance data.
- Performs short range and long-range transit planning and scheduling activities.
- Coordinate and implement the Transit Development Plan by identifying transit service needs, prioritize improvements and determine resources required for implementing modified or new service.
- Coordinates with WATS regarding inclusion of projects in the Unified Planning work Program and other long range or regional transportation documents.
- Coordinates annual Consolidated Capital Application (CCA) utilizing the Capital Planning Tool (CPT) and input from department heads.
- Manage program areas such as system performance measurement, route evaluation, and bus stop inventory database.
- Evaluate transportation projects including trip generation and assignment, transit ridership, mobility and air quality.
- Manage and implement fare structure policy and processes by conducting fare evaluations of transit ridership, pricing and fares and identify major effects of a service or fare change.
- Oversee systematic sampling plans to support manual and automated passenger and performance data collection programs.
- Work with other departments in compiling required documents for the Federal Transit Administration’s (FTA) Triennial Review; ensure compliance with FTA’s regulations.
- Coordinate with other departments and organization to implement service delivery plans and other programs.
- Utilize Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping programs to create maps and reports; provide data analysis; update and maintain GIS information.
- Represent RVTA on cooperative special projects and external agencies.
- Prepare reports, policies, procedures, correspondence, and other documents.
- Prepare materials for and conducts public presentations.
- Update and maintain operational service guidelines, performance standards, and related policies.
- Analyze operational, statistical, and budgeting data in the planning of current and future transit service delivery.
- Work with and maintain confidential information.
- Works with staff to review statistical information regarding ridership, traffic congestion, and other available data used in the formation of productivity/ efficiency measurements of bus routes.
- Responsible for scheduling any mandated outreach programs associated with grants, and route planning including, but not limited to, Title VI analysis and major services changes requiring a public hearing.
- Prepares written reports and presentations for staff and the RVTA Board; represents RVTA at various meetings; and communicates with government officials and personnel from other transit agencies.
- Develops Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), scoreboard, dashboards, and other analysis tools that will assist the Executive Director in his goals of measuring productivity, efficiencies and to set stretch goals.
- Develops private-public partnerships, including transit-oriented development.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Key Skills:
- The Director of Planning will be an experienced leader with a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning/ Engineering or related field. Master’s Degree preferred and three years professional experience in transportation planning, urban planning, or transportation engineering experience, preferably in public transit.
- Desired certifications include: American Institute of Certified Planners, Certified Transportation Planner and Principal Transportation Planner is preferred.
- Familiarity with transit or transportation system activities and functions is highly desirable.
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and various other computer programs relevant to position tasks.
- Must be familiar with the geography of RVTA’s service area and knowledgeable of RVTA’s Fixed Route bus schedules and operations.
- Must be knowledgeable with ADA Compliance and Regulations.
- Must possess solid organization skills and be able to perform multiple tasks and manage multiple responsibilities concurrently.
- Must have ability to function independently with minimal supervision.
- Primarily works in an office environment between 9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- Scheduled hours will vary according to the needs of RVTA.
- Must participate in professional development activities.
- May be required to perform over-night travel as needed for business training or furthering the mission of RVTA.
RVTA is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, RVTA prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. RVTA conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Applications accepted online:
Please visit Indeed website to complete and sumbit your application.
Please no calls the RVTA administrative office.
All applicants must possess a valid drivers license and have an excellent driving record. All positions are subject to residency requirements and to all applicable Federal Regulations governing workplace anti-drug and alcohol programs in the transit industry as specified by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) of the US Department of Transportation (DOT) and 49 CFR P655 and 49 CFRP Part 40, and the “Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988”. This shall include analytical urine drug testing and breath testing for alcohol for: reasonable suspicion, random, post-accident, return to duty, and follow-up during the course of employment.